Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A second is forever...

Don't feel like writing but I'll crank out as much as I can. I used up my "social energy" when a friend called and we talked for 20 minutes.

...Now I'm on the recovery floor in a two bed'r, nearest to the door. No room with a view for me. Suddenly my Mom, Millie, Dave and Jamie (neighbor and food connection) are with me, trying to look brave. I tried to look brave too, but neither of us where doing a good job. Nurse Debbie comes in and evaluates me. OK Sandra, we've got you on the 18/1800 diet. You're diabetic, right? No. I have metabolic syndrome. I get a blank stare back. Look it's a real thing, but apparently no one at UConn knows about it. My brave Millie trying to ensure I get good food and not diabetic food defends me, but Nurse Debbie throws them all out.

This is Millie's Friday update to everyone:
Sandy had surgery on her knee today and just wanted to let people
know that she's doing okay. PAIN but, okay. She'll be in the hospital for a few days.
and
went back to the hospital around 6pm. she looked much better. the meds
were not prescribed properly hence the great deal of pain. by 6pm she
was doing better and she ate some food and was doing her favorite
thing. Watching TV. we have a hookup who is a chef at the hospital so,
she at least gets what she wants to eat and, it actually tastes
awesome. sometimes it is: Who you know.
tomorrow is another day and, i'll be there again around 11 to spend my
day with my sweetie. to be continued
millie
Next, Nurse Chris. She was great. She told me about her mom breaking her back and being in constant chronic pain. She managed to get the pain pump meds upped and tried to help as much as she could.

Friday night I got some of my meds and fell asleep only to be awoken 1 1/2 hours later (12:30AM). ARGH!!!!! PAIN!!!! PAIN!!!!! BTW Prince was on TV Friday night.

Nasty surprise number 1: you can't push a button when you're sleeping. Oh great!

Fell asleep again and POW, BAM, BOOM I'm up and in agony. I look at the clock, it's 2 AM. I watch the clock that's right in front of me. Tick..........Tock.......... Tick.......Tock...................Tick. The femoral block they gave me has worn off, the surgery drugs are gone and I start thinking.....
Why did I do this? What was I thinking? I'm an idiot? I wonder if it hurts as much when your leg is cut off? Tick.......... Shit. What time did the nurse say I got meds again? I know, if she doesn't come by the time the big hand is over there I ring for her.....Tock. Screw it! I'm ringing now.

Beep, beep, beep, beep. Pump is running low. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Meds are gone. Where's the Nurse? I went through 4 vials of morphine.

more later.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home